Student academic transition: resources for teaching staff
Materials for teaching staff who are supporting students new to Oxford
Supporting students’ academic transitions: Key findings and recommendations
A new report written by students participating in our Student Experience Internship in summer 2022 includes key findings and recommendations aimed at enhancing academic literacies support for students at Oxford when transitioning into and throughout their degrees.
Read an abridged version of the report (SSO required)
A suite of resources to support new undergraduate students at Oxford is available on the Oxford Transition Support page of the University's student website.
To help staff support students in their first year, the following resources have been produced by the Academic Transition Support Working Group, and students participating in the Centre for Teaching and Learning's Student Experience Internship Scheme in summer 2021.
Resources for teaching staff
Quick guide for teaching staff: Supporting incoming students (short PowerPoint slide set)
This short PowerPoint slide set provides a quick snapshot of things teaching staff can do to support students' academic transition to Oxford.
The resource is based on recent research, including outcomes of the Centre for Teaching and Learning's Student Experience Internship Scheme 2021.
Staff are invited to share the resource with colleagues in their department, faculty or college, and to adapt the material in any medium or format.
Oxford Teaching Ideas
- Supporting academic transition: a focus on first-year teaching
- Supporting academic transition: a focus on essay writing
- Key principles of inclusive teaching
- Giving effective feedback
- Making feedback inclusive
- Making lectures inclusive
- Designing inclusive lab practicals
- Making tutorials inclusive
- Key steps for planning effective tutorials
- Managing tutorial dynamics
- Facilitating tutorial discussions
- Designing effective reading lists
- Mathematical Institute: Online maths club and 'Fridays@2'
- Worcester College: Academic Transition Support
- Student transition project: Bibliography
Resources for students
Providing a central hub for students, Oxford Transition Support (OTS) brings together support resources from the University and colleges, together with video feedback from current students. To help students recognise resources that are part of the package, a visual identity has been created so that central, departmental and college materials can be ‘badged’ accordingly.
If you are a member of staff, and have some resources that you would like to be included in OTS, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For general enquiries, please contact us at
Teaching & Learning Newsletter
Subscribe to our termly Teaching & Learning Newsletter